Because the supercommittee’s failure to cut the deficit even with plenty of time to negotiate is NOT acceptable. Of course, Congress’ inability to do the same thing and decision to pass it off to a committee while giving them no options for compromise wasn’t exactly heroic either. Congress is paid to solve problems, not prance around on talk shows and talk about just how crappy those other guys are.
You know what? We all know what it is like to have to make hard decisions at work or compromise with a co-worker who we really don’t like all that much or find solutions to problems that we would rather push off on someone else. When I have to do something like that, I may take a break to collect myself, whine to my husband about it, and nod emphatically while he tells me how stupid everyone who disagrees with me is (totally stupid), but then you know what I do? I woman up and get it done.
Congress? Are you listening? Woman up! We are better than this.
If you don’t manage to cut the $1.2 trillion this year (embarrassing that this is the goal) and manage to start talking to each other like humans again, I sincerely hope every single one of you loses your next re-election campaign. By an embarrassingly large margin. May you all get talk shows on cable news where you can truly use your gifts of talking all. the. time. yet miraculously producing no remotely feasible solutions.
And no, I’m not going to buy your book.
We need to tell them that this behavior is not acceptable. They need to learn to work together and put their country before themselves. At least, that’s what I told my Congress people. What are you going to tell yours?
-Stephanie
Photo courtesy of: The Atlantic
*Now that my permanent address is in Texas, I actually have Congress people, which may be why I really appreciate my right to voice my concerns to them. Solidarity with my DC friends who still don’t have that most basic right of citizenship!

No comments:
Post a Comment