I still have not seen the video Kony 2012. This is primarily because I lack the patience to let it download. However, I have seen lots of commentary about it. Apparently the video is less than nuanced about the LRA, but it has also been an entry point for several million people to learn about its atrocities and the troubles of the region. I have found some of the backlash against it patronizing: silly charitable Americans--leave this big, complex (unsolved) problem to the (donor-funded) experts. Of course, the naysayers also have a point. Even if Joseph Kony is captured this calendar year, Central/East Africa will still have a problem or 99.
So rather than debate a video I haven’t seen, I thought I’d use this opportunity to ask—no, implore—you to read this interview with Angelina Atyam, a northern Ugandan midwife whose daughter was abducted by the LRA.
and when you’re done, another one from closer to home:
- John
photo courtesy africarising.org

No comments:
Post a Comment