Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Bad News

I can’t write much about what’s happening in Sudan these days because (1) I don’t know that much and (2) what I do know is so awful I can’t spend much time thinking about it or its implications. So here are other people to tell you what is going on in Sudan:

This Time article’s title says it all: “Darfur Redux: Is 'Ethnic Cleansing' Occurring in Sudan's Nuba Mountains?

This Human Rights Watch Report on Southern Kordofan says, among other things, that Nuba people are being hunted down by Northern forces. Some have been killed in front of UN workers, including at least two outside the UNMIS gates.

The North is not confining themselves to attacks in the transitional areas either. They are also bombing across the border with the South in Unity State, which is a very worrying sign.

This report says that both the North and South are positioning their forces along the border. The South wouldn’t do anything to jeopardize independence. But once they are their own country…

Though I think it is embarrassing for anyone to claim that this mess in Sudan is America’s fault, this article, "Obama’s Second Rwanda Moment," does a good job of explaining the many mistakes the US has made and the many opportunities we have missed.


-Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment