Stephanie's brilliant observations being the case, it was kind of nice to sit in the region but escape the Pres' dressing down of any Middle-Eastern government not formed since New Years. Not that Khartoum didn't deserve it. Final pre-independence negotiations are pretty tense right now, with North and South meeting in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia this week. In the meantime, the North kindly embargoed trade up the Nile. So the local Darfuri baker cum part-time Arabic teacher was out of bread today, and fuel which used to cost $1 per liter now costs $2.30. Plus, they're meanies up there. But it was a nice, familiar feeling to think that the big issues of the day--in this case, Libya, Syria, Yemen, Egypt, Tunisia, Bahrain, Iran, Israel and Palestine--are still somehow "over there."
South Sudan's independence was supposed to be the year's big story. I hope people back home still think it is when it comes on July 9. But of course, for people here, big issues of the day will remain close to home every day for quite some time. But even with a fickle news cycle, I can draw some encouragement from the prayers I hear. With all the trouble in nearby countries, there are lots of Sudanese people, including students at the college, praying daily for peaceful resolutions. And no matter what's in the news, I'm pretty confident that they'll be praying for their own issues for a long time to come. Congratulations, South Sudan; it's good to have that kind of dedication on your side.
- John
Photo courtesy maps-charts.com

No comments:
Post a Comment