Tuesday, February 8, 2011

There will be disco.

Yesterday the final results of the Referendum were announced in Khartoum and Juba. 98.8% of the 3.8 million registered voters voted for secession. President Bashir gave a surprisingly upbeat and accepting speech, heralding a new future for the Islamic North. Of course, Southerners are elated. According to at least one Southern government spokesman, “There will be disco.”

The world is responding to the good news too. The East African Community has invited South Sudan to become its newest member and the United States has begun steps to remove Sudan from its terrorism list. It’s amazing to me how well everything has been working out so far. I had hoped the Referendum would be successful, but truly the process so far is going far better than I had imagined.

So that leaves me with just one minor question, Mr. Information Minister. When you say, “The government of South Sudan decided a new capital is needed,” do you mean Juba needs a new name? Or a fun new animal shape? Or do I really have to move again?

-Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment